It’s just made up of two letters, but one of the most painful words you’ll ever hear is “NO”. In marketing, rejection is one of the toughest obstacles we encounter especially in the early stages of our marketing efforts. A lot of good people who have amazing networking potential are lost each year due to rejection – some are just not tough enough to live through the struggle. But for us who decide to stick it out, dealing with rejection is very important not just for ourselves, but also for the people we work with.
You may be working with a network of marketers, distributors and affiliates and it is quite crucial to arm yourself with the necessary equipment to deal with rejection along the path. Imagine yourself wrapped in a knight’s armour fabricated to defend you against the piercing pain of the two-letter word “No”.
You will be surprised to learn that the word “No” is a time-tested formula to success. This is your major hurdle to get to where we want to be. Ask any successful entrepreneur, and you will discover that each has experienced his own share of painful rejections on the way to a “YES”.
Your success lies on how you handle rejections and turn them into opportunities of improving your strategies.
View each “No” as a stepping-stone towards the “Yes”!
Take for example, the case of the conventional businessman who owns a retail store in your neighborhood. How many times have you walked in, looked around, and left with nothing? You never saw the shop owner wailing in frustration because you walked out without buying anything. Instead, he will continue to look forward to the day when you would walk in and make a purchase.
Another perfect example would also be the real estate agents who know they have to show a property several times before they can close a sale. They don’t stop showing a home because the first viewer didn’t like the flooring on the patio. Instead, they will continue to show the home until they get an offer.
Building that invisible armour in your mind will allow you to weather the barrage of rejections. You simply need to be prepared and know that star athletes weren’t made in a day. They are not sent out to competitions unprepared – they undergo rigorous training coupled with injuries and defeat before they taste the thrill of victory.
How to Build Your Invisible Armour
Here are a few tips you can use to help shield yourself and conquer rejections that are sure to come your way:
- Research the law of averages – understand that people find it easier to say “No” when making a decision than giving an affirmative “Yes” right off the top. Remember a “No” is one step closer to a “Yes”
- Desensitize yourself to the word “No” – let it be just a word. Let it flow off you like “water off a duck’s back”!
- Commit to your product – make it your mission worth fighting for.
- Focus on your targetted goals – rejections are just potholes along the road to success.
- Seek out successful people – watch how they handle the “Nos” and follow their lead!
- Be generous to yourself - develop PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) to continuously keep you at the top of your game.
- Remind yourself of the invisible armour protecting you – you are always covered!
Keep in mind that everything about your business is a continuing process and “Nos” are part of the game.
It’s a proven fact that in most sales cases it takes between 7 – 10 “Nos” before you get a close.
I’d love to hear your thoughts, so please feel free to leave your insights and comments below.